Sunday, October 21, 2007

After seven years, group recognized by 'U' once again - Campus Life

I am guilty of blog neglect (due to the fact that I refuse to neglect my children).

The fact still remains, this issue is an important one for me and many others. The SCC and the Native American community (joined by other communities of color) have selflessly tried to bring attention to this issue for no reason other than the "bastardization of Native American culture," as Joe Rielly, SCC spokesperson used to put it.

This news came out earlier this year:
After seven years, group recognized by 'U' once again - Campus Life

Although there is a factual issue that needs to be addressed: Michigamua's failure to be recognized as an official student group after 2000 was a result of the preferential treatment they had thus received from the University. Furthermore, the group themselves decided not to follow the rules and apply as a regular student group so as to regain space at the Michigan Union.

More to come (soon I hope), as I would like to discuss this issue of name change and some of the good points Rob raises in his post at The Goodspeed Update

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home